35 Famous Alpha Kappa Alpha Members to Know
As the first of the divine nine greek sororities founded, it is no surprise Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. would have a full range of famous members. This list of famous and honorary members is astounding, reflecting various industries and talents.
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated ® (AKA), an international service organization, was founded on the campus of Howard University in Washington, D.C. in 1908. It is the oldest Greek-letter organization established by African American college-educated women. Founded on January 15, 1908, the founders were among the fewer than 1,000 black students enrolled in higher education institutions in 1908 and the 25 women who received a bachelor of arts degrees from Howard University between 1908 and 1911.
Here is a comprehensive list of 35 famous AKAs, including honorary members you should know. But first, let’s discuss what it means to be an honorary member.
What is an honorary sorority member?
According to HBCU Buzz, an honorary member holds the sorority’s highest honor, embodying work and traditions that align with the sorority’s values. For AKAs in particular, honorary members’ accomplishments help achieve one of five national program initiatives: Empower Our Families, Build Our Economic Wealth, Enhance Our Environment, Advocate for Social Justice, and Uplift Our Local Community.
There are, however, mixed feelings about celebrities becoming honorary sorority members. Some believe it is unfair for celebrities to be given a free pass to enter an organization, while others work hard to do the same. Here at Simply Charmed Greek, we take pride in acknowledging all members. Here are famous Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority members by category.
AKAs in Politics, Philanthropy & Social Justice
- Kamala Harris, Vice President of the United States - Howard University, Alpha Chapter
- Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee
- Coretta Scott King, Political Figure (Honorary)
- Rev Dr. Bernice King - Atlanta, Georgia, Kappa Omega
- Rosa Parks, Civil Rights Leader (Honorary)
AKAs in Music, TV & Film
- Phylicia Rashad, Actress - Howard University, Alpha Chapter
- Roxie Roker, Actress - Howard University, Alpha Chapter
- Vanessa Bell Calloway, Actress - Ohio University, Delta Phi Chapter
- Loretta Devine, Actress - University of Houston, Epsilon Gamma Chapter
- Star Jones, Lawyer, Journalist & TV Personality - American University, Lambda Zeta Chapter
- Wanda Sykes, Actress & Comedian - Hampton University, Gamma Theta Chapter
- Etta Moten Barnett, Actress - University of Kansas, Delta Chapter
- Cassandra Wilson, Singer - Jackson, Mississippi, Beta Delta Omega Chapter
- Tracer Ellis Ross, Actress (Honorary)
- Cynthia Erivo, Singer, Actress (Honorary)
- Robin Roberts, Journalist (Honorary)
- Ruth E. Carter, Costume Designer (Honorary)
- Debra Martin Chase, Film Producer (Honorary)
- Gladys Knight, Singer (Honorary)
- Alicia Keys, Singer (Honorary)
- Ava DuVernay, Film Producer (Honorary)
- Jada Pinkett Smith, Actress (Honorary)
- Yolanda Adams, Singer - (Honorary)
- Brandy Norwood, Singer & Actress - (Honorary)
- Holly Robinson Peete - (Honorary)
- Lynn Whitfield, Actress- (Honorary)
- Ella Fitzgerald, Singer - (Honorary)
AKAs in Sports
- Althea Gibson - Florida A&M University, Beta Alpha Chapter
- Lisa Leslie (Honorary)
AKAs in Business, Medicine, and Healthcare
- Ursula Burns, CEO of Xerox (Honorary)
- Mae Jemison, 1st African American Astronaut (Honorary)
- Catherine Hughes, Entrepreneur, Radio and Television personality - (Honorary)
AKAs in Literature
- Toni Morrison, Author - Howard University, Alpha Chapter
- Alice Walker, Author (Honorary)
- Maya Angelou, Author (Honorary
Are you thinking about joining a sorority, or do you have family and friends who are already members? Check out our Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority gifts and merchandise for an oh so pretty gift for them.
Some of our popular items include the AKA Sisterhood T-Shirt, our Pink and Green Sister Defined tee, Prissy Since 1908 & AKA Sisterhood Lapel Pen.